Thursday 28 February 2008

Mauresmo quitting? bbc.co.uk/tennis tells the story...

IS MAURESMO QUITTING TENNIS?
When Amelie Mauresmo, the former number one tennis star, said that she was considering quitting the sport, www.bbc.co.uk/tennis had the story covered...

Disheartened Mauresmo could quit

Mauresmo is a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo has admitted she is considering retiring from tennis if her struggles with poor form continue.
France's former world number one has won just eight matches since losing her Wimbledon singles title last July.

The 28-year-old told French sports daily L'Equipe: "I sometimes ask myself what the hell I am doing, (playing) in front of half-empty stands.
"In the back of your mind there's always a little something wondering if it wouldn't be better to stop."
Mauresmo's poor run continued in Doha this week when she lost in the second round of the Qatar Open to Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn, 7-6 (9-7) 7-5.

"It's typically the type of situation where you wish you were somewhere else," said the world number 29.
"I came to this tournament wanting to do well, but there's always a grain of sand that gets in the works and clogs things up. It's difficult to take."
She added: "I want to carry on playing, and as long as I'm motivated, I'll continue.
"But at the same time I wonder if I don't talk myself into it, will I still have that desire?"

No comments: